What about chestnut and acorns?


#herfst

A little while back I noticed under the hashtag b a post of @De Craft Teacher Ede βœ‚οΈπŸ‡³πŸ‡± where' craft chestnuts 'was proposed. I alerted her that wild chestnuts are quite dangerous, and certainly for ignorant little kids.
The sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) you especially recognize by the bolster with long fine prickly needles. It is oval-shaped with a flat side at the top and a white protrusion at the bottom. Often there are several chestnuts in the same bolster. These chestnuts are raw edible and taste nutty. Puffed, roasted or processed in a puree, they are also sweet in taste.
The wild or horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) by contrast, you recognize by the bolster, which has shorter spines. In the bolster there is usually only one chestnut that is almost completely round in shape. The chestnut tastes very bitter and is not edible. Fruits, bolsters, leaves and twigs are toxic to humans and animals (except for goats and pigs). The toxic ingredients in the chestnut are aescin (saponins), coumarins and flavonol glycosides. Saponins irritate the gastrointestinal tract. The accidental intake of one or two fruits can cause nausea and vomiting. When ingesting a large horse chestnut (> 4 cm diameter), it may be difficult to digest.
Acorns are not edible for humans . They contain toxic tannins. These substances bind to the proteins of the intestinal mucosa, preventing the absorption of nutrients into the intestine. Symptoms that may occur after eating green acorns include constipation, followed by abdominal pain, a bloody stomach run, and lack of appetite. No serious cases of poisoning have been described for humans. Eating 1 to 3 acorns does not usually pose serious problems.
not all dog owners knowing that eating or chewing acorns is dangerous for dogs. In oak leaves and acorns the substance is tannin (tannic acid). When a dog eats a lot of tannin, the dog gets stomach pain, diarrhea and will also start vomiting. It can even lead to kidney failure and death. So babysitting! It is very important to keep an eye on this.
Acorns contain tannins but are not only therefore dangerous. Dogs can also get blockages in the intestines by eating acorns, or even irritate the intestinal membrane due to the sharp shell of the glans penis.

Just after publishing this post I got a very interesting tip from @Henkjan the Warrior for Netflix fans, starting Wednesday: β€œChestnut”. the link can be found in the comments below this post.
 
More



47 comments