Opening of the Palacio de Bellas Artes Mexico.


#yoorsnovember

On November 29, 1934, when it was inaugurated under the name of Palacio de Bellas Artes as a multifunctional building that houses stages and artistic spaces. It currently permanently exhibits 17 mural works by important artists such as Diego Rivera, José Clemente Orozco, David Alfaro Siqueiros. In 1987 it was declared by Unesco as a World Heritage Site Monument.

As you can see, these buildings not only show us the beauty and cultural richness of Mexico, but they are also vestiges of what was happening in a country that received the advances of the most modern times.

The height of the building is 53 meters to the spiral and 42.5 m to the ceiling. It has 4 floors and an underground parking. Due to the difference in the beginning and construction times, the palace has several architectural styles predominating art nouveau on its exterior and deco art inside.

On November 19, 2010, a reopening ceremony of the main show hall was held after a 3-year intervention that cost 700 million pesos. The remodeling was announced as a modernization of the stage mechanics, but reality showed that, without publishing it, authorities intervened the architecture and style of the main show hall.

This intervention destroyed a large part of the stylistic unity in art deco that characterized the enclosure. The floor of the plate, consisting of a large area with a decline to the orchestra pit to promote acoustics, was changed by steps that with their angles destroy acoustics. The destruction of acoustics imposed the need for the installation of an electronic sound expansion system.

The new floor was coated with light-colored wood, which does not correspond to the style in which the room was originally designed. The boxes were made small by covering their marble walls with walnut wood, an element completely alien to the historical decor. The doors in art deco style were also replaced by modern doors. Such an intervention destroyed the architecture of the boxes. The balconies, the first, second and third floor sills, and the boxes of honor were covered entirely with walnut wood.

Large access doors to the living room were removed and modern doors were put into place. Many art deco decorative elements on doors and balconies disappeared, removed or simply no longer identifiable. A sound booth was built at the back of the stalls in a modern style. All these changes resulted in a reduction of almost 400 seats.
Share
Share and earn €1 per 1000 views.

9 comments