Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread- Gluten Free)
A few years ago I spent some months in Brazil while doing my internship, while there I discovered these little fluffy-gooey-clouds-of-heaven. I used to eat them almost daily, with coffee (pão de queijo e café docinho) it is a staple in the Brazilian-snacking. Think of the British "tea time"... Well, the Brazilian have their own version and I can't tell you enough how good these are.
They are definitely my favorite type of bread, very comforting and the best part is guilt-free. I have tweaked the original recipe to make it my own. Adding a bit of Dutch cheese (highly available) instead of mozzarella and some herbs, substituted the whole milk for sour cream. I like the mixture to be really runny, it makes for the fluffiest bread, so I pour them into cupcake trays instead of making little balls.
This recipe yields 16 little puffy goodness.
2 beaten eggs
2 cups of tapioca flour
1/2 Cup of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of sour cream diluted in 1 cup of water
1 cup of gouda cheese (grated)
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of rosemary
1 teaspoon of celery seeds
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees and have the cupcake trays ready to pour in the mixture.
2. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, cheeses, salt, and herbs.
3. Add in the wet ingredients: eggs, oil, and sour cream diluted in the water.
4. Pour into the cupcake trays and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
1. These are freezer-friendly. Make 2 batches and have always at hand.
2. Any melty-cheese can be used.
3. It can be made into garlic-cheese-and-herbs.
Enjoy!- Let me know what you think below!