This is a drug belonging to the penicillin class of drugs. We also know it as Amoxil, Trimox, and Moxatag. Doctors prescribe it to fight bacteria in many diseases like pneumonia, bronchitis, tonsillitis, and infections of the ear, nose, and throat. Amoxicillin also applies to diseases of the skin and urinary tract infections.
Doctors also recommend amoxicillin in combination with clarithromycin (Biaxin) to treat stomach ulcers caused by H. Pylori.
How is amoxicillin taken?
First, amoxicillin should be taken as prescribed by the doctor without fail. The drug exists in three forms, i.e., tablets, capsules, and oral solutions. For the liquid amoxicillin, you can take it the way it is or mix it with fruit juice, water, milk, etc. You should ensure all the mixture is finished and do not save it for later because this can make the drug less effective. I can swallow the tablets with water or juice. If they’re too big to be swallowed, you can chew the tablets or crush them into powder. You can store liquid amoxicillin in the fridge, but it’s not okay to freeze it. Throw away after 14 days of opening this drug, as it will not be effective.
What are the side effects of amoxicillin?
First, amoxicillin can cause a very severe allergic reaction which is usually manifested as hives, swelling of the face and throat, severe skin reaction, and difficulty in breathing. To some extent, it may cause severe stomach pain and watery or bloody diarrhea, which then complicates causing nausea, vomiting, and rash.
Who should not take amoxicillin?
● Anyone allergic to amoxicillin or penicillin should not take this drug.
● People allergic to cephalosporins drugs like Keflex, Omnicef, Cefzil, and Cefzin also should seek doctor’s advice before taking amoxicillin.
● Amoxicillin may render some types of contraceptives less effective. If it is a must for you to take amoxicillin or any penicillin drug, go for non-hormonal methods of birth control, i.e., condoms, diaphragm, and spermicides.
● People suffering from flu or any viral infections should not take this drug as it will not treat the disease. It is an antibiotic, meaning it kills bacteria but not viruses.
● We do not know whether it harms the unborn baby, so it is good to consult a doctor before taking it.
● It is never safe for breastfeeding mothers as it dissolves in the milk and can harm your child. A doctor can give you a better option in case you are lactating.
What should I do in case I miss a dose?
Missing a dose is a common phenomenon experienced by many people, and in case it happens, you should just take the next dose as prescribed. Avoid taking two doses at once, as it can produce adverse results.
Why is it advisable to finish my amoxicillin dose?
This is because skipping doses of antibiotics increases your chances of becoming antibiotics resistant. This means that the next time you get sick, amoxicillin will not be effective and you’ll require a higher dose to achieve the same results. So, it is good to finish the dose even when symptoms of infections have reduced.
What is the dose of amoxicillin?
The dose of amoxicillin depends on the age and the condition in which a person is suffering.
● Oral doses are in 125mg/5mL, 200mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL and 400mg/mL.
● Capsules are in either 200 mg or 500 mg.
● Tablets are either 500mg or 875 mg.
● Chewable tablets are 125 mg or 250 mg.