When you can't modify the brightness on the Windows 10 desktop or laptop, the issue could be caused by a variety of factors. These can be software or hardware-based, therefore it's crucial to figure out where the issue is.
Many faults may be resolved at home, but if the hardware is faulty, you may need to have the system professionally repaired or purchase replacement components.
Before you get to that point, it's a good idea to figure out what the problem is:
• The brightness adjustment on the PC does not work. If you're using the correct commands to adjust the brightness, you may be experiencing a software or hardware issue that prevents the change from taking effect.
• Recently, your computer has refused to modify its brightness. It could be a software upgrade issue if your PC is utilized to regulate the brightness correctly but no longer does.
• The brightness no longer adjusts itself. If your device's brightness used to adjust automatically but no longer does, it's crucial to see if it's still feasible to adjust it manually.
Why isn't the brightness on my laptop changing?
It's possible that your laptop's brightness isn't working for a variety of reasons. Here are a few ideas as to why this could be the case.
• There's a problem with your display. The display on your laptop may have an issue altering brightness if it has been dropped or is simply old.
• Your software is no longer supported. If you haven't updated Windows 10 or the graphics drivers in a while, you might have trouble changing the brightness.
• Problems with the keyboard. If you're having trouble adjusting the brightness on the laptop using keyboard instructions, it could be a problem with the keyboard instead of the display.
What to Do If Windows 10's Brightness Isn't Working
If you can't modify the brightness on the Windows 10 computer, there are a few options for troubleshooting and resolving the problem. Here's a rundown of the most important ways, in order of difficulty.
1. Double-check that you're using the right command. Holding the Fn button and a function key together on a laptop allows you to change brightness levels. Make sure you're pressing the right keys.
2. Use the Action Center to adjust the brightness. Instead of using the keyboard, utilize Windows 10's Action Center to adjust the brightness. It may be able to resolve the problem in some cases.
3. Look into the power options. Check that your power options aren't altering the brightness of your screen by going to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options. While you're there, make sure your PC or laptop isn't automatically adjusting the brightness.
4. Make sure your display drivers are up to current. Your display drivers need to be updated. This normally takes approximately 10-15 minutes and is effective at resolving common issues. It also improves the responsiveness of your machine.
5. Install the latest version of Windows. Make sure the operating system is up to date by checking for Windows updates.
6. Switch to a new monitor. To see if the problem is just with your current screen, try utilizing another external monitor or screen.
7. Change your graphics cards. To see if the problem is with one of the GPUs, either install a separate graphics card or switch from the dedicated graphics card to the integrated graphics card. This option is typically available next to the screen resolution options.
8. Get in touch with the maker of your computer or laptop. If the problems continue and you are unable to resolve them, contact the device's manufacturer to see if they may assist you or send it in for repair.
In Windows 10, how can I change the brightness?
Adjusting the brightness on the Windows 10 Operating System is a straightforward operation that can be done in a variety of ways. Here's a quick rundown of the techniques.
• Keyboard shortcuts. On a laptop, one can usually adjust the brightness using keyboard shortcuts. While holding down the Fn key, search for any icons next to characters that could indicate brightness.
• Through the Action Center Slide the brightness slider right or left in Windows 10's Action Center to change the brightness.
• Automatically. If you'd want your computer to change brightness automatically, navigate to Control Panel > Display and change the settings to automatic to let it decide what's best for you based on the time of day you're using it.