Casseroles, I love it.
They have numerous advantages:
- You can prepare them in advance.
- They are ideal for mealpreppen.
- You can freeze them in portions to quickly put a good meal on the table later.
Necessary for 4 people:
- 4 large carrots
- 2 red onions
- 2 yellow peppers
- 200 g bacon strips
- 2 to 3 bulbs (buffalo) mozzarella (-> This I bought in the Lidl)
- chicken breast, cut into equal pieces
- a jar of pesto rosso (I took one with spicy peppers.)
- (olive) oil and pepper, possibly other spices if your pesto rosso does not have much taste.
This is how you make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Cut the carrots and the red onions into small pieces and stew them in some (olive) oil.
- Put the lid on your pot and cut the peppers into pieces. Add them to the other vegetables, stir a little together and put your lid on the pot again.
- Put in the bacon strips and let them go. You can add extra seasoning with pepper and/or other spices if you took a pesto without much flavor.
- Add the contents of the pesto jar and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Cut the chicken breasts so that they are more or less equal in size. This to avoid that some pieces are not cooked enough.
- Cut the bulbs mozzarella into slices that you then cut in half.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture from the pot and spread it over the bottom of 2 casseroles.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on this, alternating with the mozzarella.
- Place the dishes in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cooking time can vary from oven to oven! Your dish is ready when the chicken is cooked and the mozzarella is nicely turned out and discolored.