March 1 is compliments day!
In other cultures it is very common to give many compliments, with us that is much less done!
We are also bad at receiving compliments! We like to weaken it down (well, that dress was very cheap), or we generalize it (everyone would do that anyway) or we put back the compliment (your hair is also very nice). We are also quickly suspicious and wonder whether it is serious, and whether something is not expected in return. (Why is he saying this?)
Nevertheless, we should definitely continue to give compliments! And then serious!
Of course not only on compliments day, but it is nice to pay extra attention to that!When giving compliments, pay attention to:(especially in children)
- Name the process, the action, not the result! (What a passion you put in your work instead of what a beautiful painting)
- Give a compliment as it suits you! If you find it difficult, you can write it on a card.
- Always make sure you mean it, rather a small compliment than a conceived compliment that does not seem sincere.
- Focus on qualities and competencies, not results!
- Don't expect anything in return!
Collect, believe, grow and enjoy if you are allowed to receive a compliment yourself! And say “thank you.” And it is also fine to respond sincerely with: “Yes, I am really happy with it myself!”