Sinterklaas,a fun time,that makes children bounce,but also the time of the tasty herb nuts. Only herb nuts and a low-carb lifestyle don't go well together,do they? Yes,with the recipe below you can easily make your own low-carbohydrate crunchy herb nuts,which are very responsible with only 0.01 carbohydrate per herb nut. This way you can eat snacking!
I'd tell you right away,you're not gonna get them as hard as in the store or from the baker. This is because the herb nuts from the store and the baker are made from flour and white sugar,this causes a reaction,which makes the herb nuts rock hard. The herb nuts from this recipe are still soft and malleable after baking,but to rest for an hour they will also be delicious crunchy!
Composition of low-carbohydrate herb nuts:
From the recipe you get unheveer 90 herb nuts,but this is a bit up to how big you make the balls. If you take 90 pieces out of it,the herb nuts consist of about 0.01 grams of carbohydrates each.
Ingredients for 90 low-carbohydrate herb nuts:
- 50 grams of softened cream butter (put it out of the refrigerator about an hour before use,so that it can soften already. Before use,let it melt slightly,I did 30 seconds on 650 what in the microwave)
- 100 grams of almond flour (Pay attention to where you order it in connection with the carbohydrates. I always order at oahn online)
- 10 grams of speculaas herbs (Available in the grocery store's spice rack)
- Pinch of salt
- A teaspoon of stevia (I also order at oahn)
- 1 tablespoon of almond milk (ordinary milk is also possible,but there are more carbohydrates in it)
Preparation of low-carbohydrate herb nuts:
- The cream butter you have already softened,make sure it is melted to half
- In a clean dry mixing bowl,mix the almond flour,the speculaas spices,salt and stevia
- Now slowly pour in the butter and knead everything together. The most convenient is this at first with a spoon,and later by hand
- Put 1 tablespoon of almond milk or ordinary milk through it,mix. If it is a mushy mass where you can form a big ball,then it is good,if not you add a little more milk. Pay attention not to too much milk at once
- Taste the dough if it is sweet enough. It should taste very sweet,because during baking the dough loses its sweetness
- Roll 90 small balls from the dough and put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You could spray it in advance with a baking spray,but this is not necessary. When the balls lie on the parchment paper,press them slightly flat with your hand so that they get a herb nuts shape
- Now let the herb nuts rest for 2 hours at room temperature,before you can bake them in the oven
- Heat the convection oven at 160 degrees and bake the spice nuts in it,this will take about 5/7 minutes. In between check that they do not burn and feel with your finger if they feel a bit harder. The exact time I can not give,because each oven works differently so in between checking is a prerequisite
- After baking,remove the spice nuts immediately from the parchment paper,because due to the heat they stay well baked. Allow the herb nuts to cool on an iron grate,about an hour. The longer you wait how crunchy-there they will be
- Keep the herb nuts in a dry place in a sealed drum,so you can keep them for about 7-10 days,but believe me they will not save!
Have you tried these herb nuts,too? Then let me know what you thought about it and what you might have done differently,because tastes of course vary per person. You can let me know via a personal message on Yoo.rs,via instagram but also on the facebook of: Carbohydrate arm/limited life,recipes,information and more!
For personal guidance,you can always call on my help,because you are not alone. And especially in the early days it can be difficult to start and I will be there to drag you through it.