The Assassin Carbon Monoxide (CO)


Last week, the news reported that over the past six weeks 40 people were hospitalized because of a #koolmonoxidevergiftiging - Yes.
Fire brigade Nederland and the Dutch Burns Foundation are ringing.

Jet Early, Spokesman on behalf of Fire Department Netherlands says: “Now so many accidents in the Netherlands and the REAL COLD DAYS MUST COLD.”

WWW.NU.NL

Health Council

The Health Council also gives an important #waarschuwing Off. In thousands of homes in the Netherlands, the concentration of #koolstofmonoxide too high. They advise the cabinet to impose stricter requirements on the carbon monoxide detectors. Most detectors now only sound an alarm when there is a high concentration of carbon monoxide, about 25 ppm, but the lower concentrations are not measured, such as 6 ppm. And that's where it is. It turns out that physical damage can occur much earlier at much lower concentrations of carbon monoxide. If people are exposed to lower concentrations of carbon monoxide for a long time, this can cause problems with the heart and blood vessels. That has to do with your blood taking less oxygen when you come into contact with carbon monoxide. This in turn reduces oxygen to your organs, affecting the heart and blood vessels. In addition, carbon monoxide disrupts important biological processes in the body.

Research on the effect of lower concentrations of carbon monoxide on human beings was carried out in 2010 by the WHO (World Health Organisation) and in 2017. #gezondheid - Yes.
The study from Sweden in 2017 showed that pregnant women when exposed during pregnancy may have adverse effects on the neurological development of the foetus.

There is already a plan within the Safety Research Council on the table to amend the law most likely by 2020.
Only certified installation companies will only be allowed to maintain the central heating boilers, gas stoves, fireplaces, geysers, etc. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs at 25 ppm.
According to the Health Council and the WHO, that is insufficient.
#Koolmonoxidevergiftiging , according to them already occurs at 6 ppm, such as being exposed to lower concentrations of carbon monoxide for a long time, giving the above physical complaints.
Most carbon monoxide detectors on the market only issue a warning at 25 ppm. A few at 10 ppm, but it would be even better, according to the WHO, if the detectors already issue a warning at 5 ppm. In America, incidentally, such detectors can be found on the market.

Awareness campaign

Toxicologist Martin van den Berg from the University of Utrecht advocates an awareness-raising campaign to warn pregnant women and heart patients about the risks of lower concentrations of carbon monoxide.

According to him, that is even more necessary for the Health Council to do so in order to bring it to attention.
Furthermore, he says this about it:


Quote

I advise pregnant women and heart patients to buy sensitive detectors and ensure adequate ventilation in your home.

Toxicologist Martin van den Berg, Utrecht University
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/gezondheidsraad-duizenden-nederlandse-woningen-hebben-te-hoge-concentratie-koolstofmonoxide~b4aa6464/?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, also called carbon monoxide, is a compound of combustion substances.
For proper combustion, carbon (C) reacts with oxygen (O2) and thus carbon dioxide is formed.
If there is a shortage of oxygen (C), less CO2 is produced and carbon monoxide (CO) is produced. This is a toxic gas that you can't see, smell or taste. Because you can't see, smell or taste it, carbon monoxide is called an “assassin.”

What is the cause of carbon monoxide poisoning?


One #koolmonoxidevergiftiging you can get in different ways and in different places, such as at home, but also outside in your caravan, by turning a barbecue, a wood stove or a car that is warm in the garage.


Below you can read the different causes:

  • broken geysers, central heating boilers, heaters

  • poorly maintained heating boilers, stoves, fireplaces, geysers.

  • insufficient ventilation of flue ducts, insufficient supply of air, insufficient ventilation of your home.

  • clogged smoke channels and drains by, for example, bird nests or dirty remains that block the road.

  • improper use of stoves and fireplaces, using them as an all-burner.

  • chimneys that are not swept annually by an approved chimney company.

  • are not in possession of carbon monoxide detectors.

How to recognize a carbon monoxide poisoning?


You can't see carbon monoxide. It's an odorless, invisible gas.

A carbon monoxide poisoning gives the following symptoms:

  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • headache
  • fatigue
  • confusion

With a high concentration of carbon monoxide intake, the following symptoms arise:

  • unconsciousness
  • arrhythmias
  • hyperventilation
  • coma

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?


Research by the Dutch Burns Foundation showed that 43% of the respondents do not know that a carbon monoxide detector should be placed next to a central heating boiler, geyser, fireplace, or stove.

The following steps should be taken to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Place carbon monoxide detectors and place them in the places where the combustion devices hang. Also place them on the corridor, landing and bedrooms. Regularity check the detectors, because of batteries that need to be replaced, test if the beeper is still going off and remove dust residues. Don't you know exactly which carbon monoxide detectors to purchase? There are several species.
  • Take a look at this site: https://www.brandweer.nl/brandveiligheid/koolmonoxidemelders

  • Ensure sufficient ventilation of your home, garage, caravan, country house. Ventilating 24 hours a day is best!

  • Make sure that at least once a year your flue is swept off your chimney by a licensed chimney company.

  • Let once a year the boiler, geyser or stove be serviced and cleaned by an approved installation company.

  • Recognize the beginning symptoms of a carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, vomiting, fatigue, nausea.

  • Hang a note in the house with a five roadmap how to act if there is a carbon monoxide poisoning.

Five steps action plan!


The next five steps explain how to act when you have to act when there is a carbon monoxide poisoning.

1. Open windows and doors for ventilation.


2. If possible, turn off all combustion devices.

3. Warn any fellow residents and leave the house. Leave windows and doors open and do not enter the premises.

4. Call 112 if there are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

5. Have all combustion appliances checked again for re-use by an approved maintenance company.



Citation of source:
https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/5569457/veertig-gevallen-van-koolmonoxidevergiftiging-in-laatste-zes-weken.htm

https://www.koolmonoxidemelder.nl/Symptomen-van-koolmonoxidevergiftiging

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolstofmonoxide

https://www.brandweer.nl/brandveiligheid/koolmonoxide

https://www.consumentenbond.nl/cv-ketel/koolmonoxide

https://radar.avrotros.nl/hulp-tips/hulpartikelen/item/koolmonoxide-hoe-voorkom-je-vergiftiging/

https://pixabay.com/

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/gezondheidsraad-duizenden-nederlandse-woningen-hebben-te-hoge-concentratie-koolstofmonoxide~b4aa6464/?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F