Leaving aside the last year you come across people's most wonderful stories of distant journeys. Sometimes, I admit it, a tad jealous, even though I don't really have a good reason for that..
When I try to make a list of all the countries where I have been in my 60 years (sometimes only very short), I see that almost all these locations are more or less 'near':
- The Netherlands (because I live there)
- Belgium (natural)
- Spain (island of Lanzarote)
- Liechtenstein (only 'in transit ')
- Italy Greece (island of Kos)
- United Kingdom (England, Scotland)
- Iceland (very limited, only at the airport to wait for a connection)
- United States (one of our children studied in Boston for six months, and that was a good reason to go that way)
Photos below: Lanzarote, Boston, Vlieland
There are still some destinations on our wish list, but the distant, exotic places are not really among them. Being on the road for days is not so 'our thing', in recent years our holidays have been mainly done in our own country. Then you'll find out how beautiful, diverse and varied the Netherlands really is.
Still, I travel much more than that. I travel to indefinite locations, in the now, in the past or in the future. Many of my travels take place in that wonderful land of my imagination. I don't have to get out that far.. Traveling in the fantasy, perhaps helped by a movie, story or good book I can recommend everyone!
Photo: Evening air near Ransdorp (municipality of Amsterdam)