The CBS keeps statistics on the amount of suicides that occur annually. However, it is not clear whether these suicides are due to bullying.
2010 2014 2015
- Total suicide all ages. 1600 1839 1871
- Total suicide under 20 years. 55 55 48
In case of suspicions of problems where prolonged pain predominates or where depression or suicidal thoughts are present, it is necessary to seek specialist help. It is important that the young person is taken seriously and that there is a counselor for the young person. At first, a conversation is advisable where the bullying takes place, usually this is at school.
Whether a young person actually commits suicide is difficult to estimate. However, there are risk factors that could increase the risk of suicidal behavior among young people.
In addition to these risk factors, there are also signs that a young person may send that could indicate whether a young person is struggling with suicidal thoughts that can lead to suicide. Often these signals are only noticed afterwards. These signals can be given from the first row and from the second row.
But what are the risk factors? And what are the signals from the first and second rows?
Risk Factors Suicidal Behavior
The risk factors that could indicate that a young person may or may not be suicidal or, in the worst case scenario, will commit suicide are as follows:
• Personality man reacts impulsively or aggressively to problems, is very insecure about himself, has difficulty solving problems, is very strict on himself, thinks very black and white, gets confused easily, gets disappointed or desperate quickly.
• Social characteristics that refer to the conditions under which the young person grows up, such as the people with whom they interact or have interacted with and their behavior in and outside the family, other poor social or economic situations, a serious physical condition or fatal illness.
• Mental problems such as depression or depression; schizophrenia and psychoses; anxiety problems; eating disorders; personality disorders; behavioral problems or substance use and abuse
Suicidal Behavior Signals
In addition to the risk factors mentioned earlier, there are signals that a young person may give that could indicate whether a young person is struggling with suicidal thoughts that can lead to suicide. Often these signals are only noticed afterwards. These signals can be given from the first row and from the second row. The signals from the front row should be taken seriously. With these signals, professional help should be sought as soon as possible.
The signals from the first row are as follows:
- There are threats of statements such as: “I want to die”, “I don't see it anymore” or “You will not be bothered by me anymore”; A suicide is prepared by, for example, saving pills or looking for a weapon.
- One takes distance and farewell from life by writing a letter, by giving away things, and so on.
- One shows the desire to die in everything, in speaking, writing, drawings and music.
Signals from the second row of whether someone will actually commit suicide are less clear. These signals do not necessarily mean that someone is suicidal, but you do need to take the signals seriously. The signals from the second row are as follows:
- There is gloom or depression.
- There is hopelessness, so that no other way out is seen than suicide.
- There is insomnia.
- There is a decrease in interest in the things that were liked at first.
- There is numbness, violent emotional events are less reacted than usual.
- There is seclusion, people no longer want to meet up or fancy parties.
- There is neglect, there is no longer taking good care of oneself.
- Unnecessary risks are taken such as reckless driving, fighting or gambling.
- There is excessive alcohol and drug use.
Another signal that can be watched for is whether the young person is self-harming. Young people who harm themselves can do so by cutting themselves in the arms, abdomen or groin, for example, or by burning themselves with cigarettes. The expectation that the young people have of this self-harm is not that they will die because of it, but is more intended to escape unbearable thoughts and feelings.
It is important that you recognize the signs of suicidality and know what help can be called in. In addition, it is important that you know how to have a conversation with a young person who is dealing with suicidal thoughts. When a young person indicates that he wants to commit suicide, you should take into account the following aspects in a conversation:
• Speak open
• Don't panic
• Be willing to listen and give room to emotions
• Recognize the situation is serious
• Do not judge the situation
• Convince the person that help is available
• Openness of business
• Don't leave the person alone.
Discussing the topic of suicidal can be difficult. For support with this, you can contact 113 suicide prevention. They give tips on, among other things, how to ask a young person about the suicidal thoughts. According to them, this is best done with the following questions:
• Do you think: I don't have to do it anymore?
• Do you ever think about suicide?
• Do you think: I don't want to go on living like this?
On the other hand, the following questions are strongly discouraged:
• You don't really want to die anyway?
• You're not going to do stupid things anyway?
• Do you know how much you grieve me with this.
Regarding attitude is an attitude in which there is respect and modesty, a correct attitude. In conversations, you need to be convinced that the young person has something to say and that they also want to tell. It is important that you think about how to communicate with young people. Communicating with young people in a right way means taking the young people seriously, connecting with the young people's story, respecting the youth's self-reliance and showing commitment
BE SURE TO READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS IN THIS SERIES SO YOU CAN LEARN MORE ABOUT TEASING AND BULLYING AND FEEL FREE TO SHARE THE DIFFERENT POSTS!
Promote: support and profit
Support vanrupstotvlinder with a promotion and this post reaches a lot more people. You profit from it by earning 50% of everything this post earns!
- The revenue of this ad will be returned to the Yoors members -